Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Assessment For Learning in Upper Elementary Grades

As a physical education teacher, I find assessing students to be how well they interact in the gymnasium.  I'm teach middle school and we have written tests for the students, but that is not where most of their grade comes from.  We grade them highly on participation and knowledge of the sport or activity we are teaching them.  For example, when we teach them the sport of football, it's OK if they are not great at the skills of throwing or catching a football.  We are mostly concerned with how well they know what is going on and if they are participating correctly and fairly.  The written test we give them at the end is about the rules and situations in the sport, but they've been playing the sport for the whole unit, so the test really isn't that hard for them.  We feel this way, students are not afraid of the test and do not fear getting a bad grade in class.  I talk to most of the students before the test and they all feel really confident because they've been practicing it for a few weeks already.  
As a health teacher, I assess my students on different situations I give them.   I give tests and quizzes, but I always tell them, that the best way to learn something is to know it, not memorize it.  So therefore, journals and open discussions in class is the real way they earn their grade. 
I really enjoyed reading Stiggins article and it opened up my eyes about why so many students fear their tests and grades.  I love it how he mentioned how students can be molded into the correct way of achieving success and building confidence, but then goes on to talk about the opposite effect.  So many articles just talk about how to achieve the positive and does not talk about what could happen if they don't.  "As learners ascend to the upper elementary grades, if they experience an accumulation of unsuccessful experiences, they can begin to infer that they are incapable of learning." (Stiggins)  I think a lot of students go through this because of all the pressure is on them to pass a test, or make the honor roll.  A child will put so much pressure on themselves, that it is almost impossible for them to succeed in their own mind.  We as teachers need to pick them up when they get knocked down, just like Stiggins states.  They look to us as role models and we should show them that failing can be built on.  
Stiggins gives great assessment strategies, but my favorite one was that helps the student know where they are now and where we want them to be when we succeed.  "Provide learners with continuous access to descriptive feedback that helps them understand how to do better the next time (and then, of course, make sure there is a next time).  So many times, we will tell a student how they did what they need to do for next time to get better and succeed, and then like Stiggins infers, we do not give them that opportunity.  I know I am guilty of that myself sometimes too.  When we pick a student up and help them with their problems, we need to give them a chance to improve and not just tell them how to do it, they have to do it themselves.  This will help them believe it.  Students need to believe they can do it.  
This article by Stiggins was a great and well researched article.  He gives great points and explain why they happen and how to fix them.  He goes into detail where he needs to and answers all the questions that the reader might ask.  Stiggins did his homework when writing this article.  This is a great read for any new educator, administrator, or even parent.  


Stiggins, Rick. (February 2009)  "Assessment for Learning in Upper Elementary Grades."  Phi Delta Kappan, Vol. 90, No. 06.  pp 419-421 

2 comments:

  1. In PE, do you (or others) ever have students self-reflect on their own performance and how they might perceive their own instructional efforts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We normally don't have them self reflect, but every class I usually walk around and ask random students how they felt class went. If a student was fooling around during the class or if I noticed something was up with him/her, then I definitely make it a point to go and ask them.

    ReplyDelete